Thursday, March 6, 2014

New Staff at Westside- Ari Feeney




What's some background information about you?
I was born in Seattle, but moved to Hawaii when I was 6 months old.  I grew up on the Big Island and still have a lot of family there.  Before moving back to Seattle last summer, I was living in Bellingham, which is about 90 miles north.   I've been a teacher for about 10 years, but before I became I teacher, I was planning to go to Law School.  I have one sister who lives in Seattle and a ton of other family members in West Seattle. I also have an amazing 4 year old niece named Isabella and a wonder-Beagle named Buster.  

What is your title at Westside?
My official title is Lower School Division Head and 4th Grade Teacher
What was your previous job?
I was a teacher for many years.  I've taught grades 3-7.  When I taught Middle School, I taught Literature, Washington State History and Language Arts.  A few years ago, I decided to go back to school to become a school administrator. I completed a two-year Post-Graduate Administrative Program and am now certified to be a school principal for grades PK-12.   Before coming to Westside, I was the Associate Head of School at another Independent school in Bellingham.
What do you like most about Westside?
I really like the kids and families at Westside. I think our school community is really open and friendly. Kids love learning at Westside and it's so great to see how happy everyone is to come to school.  The families that I have met are kind, appreciative and caring.   It makes my job so enjoyable.  I also really enjoy working with our teachers and other faculty members!
What are the pros and cons about your job?
The major pro is of my job is having the opportunity to get to know ALL the kids in the Lower School (and some Middle Schoolers too!). As an administrator, I get to go into all of our classrooms and interact with all the teachers and kids. It's fun to learn all of their names and know what's going on in the classrooms.  It's hard to think of a con about my job, but if I had to name one, I think it's managing lots of information and tasks and figuring out the best way to keep things organized.  I always want to be as helpful as possible to everyone.  Sometimes I feel like there's some many things to remember, I am worried I will accidentally 'drop" something.