Wednesday, November 13, 2013

New Teacher Interviews



Henry and Connor recently interviewed some of Westsides’ new teachers, here is what they had to say.......

MARC S


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Q1:How are you liking it in Seattle and what have you done as a new Seattlite?

A: I like to go on hikes, go to plays, music events, movies and sports.

Q2:What are your hobbies?

A: I like to sketch, do art, swim, do yoga and cook.

Q3:Why did you decide to become a teacher at Westside School?

A: It is like the school I used to teach at and I like the type of approach this school has.  Westside is unique because it's not just all about studying, this school uses a lot of hands on learning which is where you interact such as doing labs.

Q4:Did you play any sports in middle school?

A: I played soccer, lacrosse and I was on the swim team.                                                                                        

MARK H



Q1: Are there any projects you plan to do over the year?
A: I want to put posters up around the room. I also want each student to make their own portfolio for major ideas and what students would like to remember from class. Then, when we get near December, we will do a more split of project.

Q2:What is it like to work with your wife at the same school?

A: It is great and fun.  You know how some families see their family members at morning and night, I get to see Jillian all day long. This is the fourth school I have taught at with Jillian so I am pretty used to it though.

Q3:What do you like to do?

A: I like cycling, road biking, running, hiking and backpacking.

Q4: Why did you decide to become a teacher at Westside School, did it have anything to do with your wife teaching here?

A: I had been looking at some other schools but Jillian spoke very highly of Westside and that is how I got here.

Q5:How long have you been teaching?

A: This is my 14th year.



SUSANNAH


Q1: What projects do you plan to do with the 7th graders?  

A: We will be looking at their heritage, they will be interviewing a relative and creating a little autobiography starting with shoeboxes.  Later on they will move on to a more digital way to study their heritage.

Q2:What projects do plan to do with the 8th grade?

A: On Monday the eighth graders are in a Opera Show where they have to take on the personality of Robber Baron from the Industrial Revolution.

Q3:Where did you teach before Westside?

A: In a school in Honduras,Shanghai American School and the American Embassy School in New Delhi, India.

Q4: How long have been teaching?

A: 10 years.

Q5: Where did you go to middle school and was it anything like this school?

A: Yes and no. I went to Sequim Middle School. Westside is similar because the kids stay in the area a long time, so they are at the same school for a while. It's different because Sequim MS was a bigger school and a public school.

                                          
                                                

JEREMY

Q1: How long have you been teaching?

A: I have been teaching for 7 years and counting.

Q2: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

A: I decided to become a teacher because I want to help people have a great future and be educated.

Q3: Where did you teach before Westside School?

A: I taught in Cascade Middle School and also in outdoor fields, teaching science usually.

Q4: We know you're an outdoor person, is there a specific place you like to camp?

A: I like camping anywhere where there are almost no people or no people at all.

Q5: Is there a big project that you plan to do in math with the 5th graders throughout the year.

A: I plan to do the baseball project that Preston did last year.



ALICIA BETTY

Q 1: How long have you been doing art?

A: I have been doing art for at least 10 yrs.

Q 2: Have you taught art anywhere else than Westside?

A: Yes and I still am. I am a teacher at the Seattle Art Museum.

Q 3:Where did you go to middle school?

A: Chinook Middle School in Seatac ( by the airport).

Q4:Who was your favorite teacher?

A: Anne Gale at the University of Washington, she is an art teacher.

Q5:Has any of your art been displayed anywhere big.

A: No place super big but at community art shows and school art shows. Although I have
participated in large works of art that have been displayed in big places.



MIKE

Q1:How long have you been teaching PE?

A: 5 years

Q2:Why did you decide to become a teacher at Westside?

A: I was looking for the position of a P.E. teacher and Westside was open for the job so I took it.

Q3:What are all the school sports at Westside?

A: Cross country, Volleyball, Basketball, Track.

Q4:How has the cross country team been competing?


A: We did very well for the season,we had 40 runners all together for the whole school.



SUE

Q1: What school did you teach at in Hawaii?

A: I taught at Hualalai Academy on the Big Island of Hawai'i

Q2: What could you do in Hawaii that you can't or won't do in Seattle?  

A: Snorkel and body board

Q3: Why did you decide to teach here at Westside?  

A: My kids are both in college so it was a good opportunity to explore a new life adventure!

Q4: Where do you like to go in the Seattle area?  

A: So far I really like exploring the Alki Beach area, Pike Place Market and Capital Hill but I'm looking forward to finding a place to watch the Orcas. I'm also getting into the Seahawks and would love to go to a game.